Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Have a Nice Life


For those who don't like to read: Deathconsciousness is the greatest album of all time, fuck you I said it.

Suggested listening for while you don't read this.
Have a Nice Life- "A Quick One Before the Eternal Worm Devours Connecticut"

I really hate making lofty claims such as: "Hey, this band is my favorite band of all time!" or "Hey, this truly is the greatest song I've ever heard, I mean, did you HEAR THAT BASS DROP?!" The problem with these statements to me are, times fucking change man. What you may love one year may not be your favorite band the next year, month, week, or day. I've really tried to stay away from these claims, although I have been known to do it before (Man, City of Caterpillar/Kidcrash/The Vidablue/Ten Grand is my favorite band ever); but it's definitely not something I do as much, or at all now. I'm in the middle of a big music taste change anyway, so any of these lofty claims I make are most likely bullshit and I'll just make another one in the next week (that will also most likely be bullshit).

That's why it's weird for me to declare that Have a Nice Life's Deathconsciousness is the greatest album of all time. For close to 4 years now, I've said this, and I'm pretty damn fucking sure that I will continue to say this for as long as time will go. I mean cmon, the album art is one of my fucking favorite pieces of art all time, Jacques-Louis David's The Death of Marat. I'm pretty sure I downloaded this years ago just for this simple reason. It's not to say this album hasn't had a profound fucking affect on my life though. There has been times in my life where, fuck it man, I'm depressed, and I would just turn off the lights, throw on this record, and turn it up all the fucking way and sit in there in this ambient/drone/shoegaze-y noise. It's fucking hauntingly beautiful, absolutely wild.

And that's the best way to describe the first song on this album, A Quick One Before the Eternal Worm Devours Connecticut. Hauntingly beautiful. I've never been one for a droning ambient noise, but there is absolutely something different about this track, different from the first second I listened to it, different as I listen to it right now. I could really just go on and on about how great it is, the looping guitar line, the keyboard or whatever coming over and whisking away in the background, shit, it's still unlike any other ambient track I listen to, which usually will just bore me to tears (DARK AMBIENT, I'M LOOKING AT YOU).

Have a Nice Life- "Bloodhail"

And that's really the flow of the first disc, The Plow That Broke the Plains, very subdued, very laid back, very fucking good. The best track on this disc is easily the 2nd track, Bloodhail. The whole song is perfectly laid back with a great bass line (which happens more than once on this entire album). And the whole song builds up to the great part of "We kill everyone with, arrowheads, arrowheads" with arrowheads being repeated until the end of time, which is absolutely fantastic. I'm not saying the rest of The Plow That Broke the Plains is bad, because it is in no way close to that; it's just so fucking hard for the rest of the first disc to live up to how great the first two tracks are. Really, the first disc is the perfect thing to relax to, to wind down from whatever awful day you've had, to get you to calm down from anything. Honestly, it's the perfect problem solver of an album, nothing better to do anything to.

Have a Nice Life- "Waiting for Black Metal Records to Come in the Mail"

Now the 2nd disc, entitled The Future, is something completely fucking different. It still has that ambient feel you love to it, but it's just, way fucking better. All 6 songs on The Future are fucking fantastic, just perfectly made songs. Waiting for Black Metal Records to Come in the Mail was the first Have a Nice Life song I've ever heard, and it will forever remain my favorite Have a Nice Life song. Something about the drums, coupled with the guitar in this song, just makes it an absolutely, hauntingly, perfect song. It's hard to describe shit like this (and really, this whole 2nd disc) because it's hard to put feelings like this into words. Whenever I hear the chorus of this song, I literally feel a lightness in my chest, like some sort of mental anguish is literally lifted off of me. Weird shit, eh? Even weirder to try and fucking explain. This is what makes the 2nd disc so hard to describe, because this isn't the only song that gives me that feeling in my chest. The next song, Holy Fucking Shit: 40,000, may do an even better job of putting this feeling in my chest. It's really hard to put this song in words. The fucking chord progression of the acoustic guitar is just, better than perfect, better than the greatest thing I've ever heard, better than achieving nirvana, just holy shit it's really fucking good. So good, I don't even want to use italics to get my point across how good it is, because it's better then that. Not only do we get this fantastic chord progression, but then the song breaks down into this fucking wall of electronic/guitar noise that rips you apart, before seguing back into the original chord progression.

Have a Nice Life- "Holy Fucking Shit: 40,000"

You know how I said Waiting for Black Metal Records to Come in the Mail was my favorite song on this album? Bullshit, it's Holy Fucking Shit: 40,000. And that's why you can't make bullshit lofty claims without being 100% sure.

The rest of this album is straight out of the park home runs as well, from the instrumental track, to the most out of place track on this entire album, The Future. From the fantastic opening of I Don't Love, to the absolutely glorious ending to the entire album with Earthmover. Earthmover is basically 11 and a half minutes of "Fuck you, this whole album rules." To be completely honest, I'm already sure I'll never here an album this good in my life again. It's not even close to depressing either to know I've found music's entire fucking zenith. It's sort of a great feeling actually, knowing this album will always be here, and I'll always be able to listen to it. Great feeling, but eerie as well.

Have a Nice Life has also released two other tapes, Time of Land and Voids. To be honest, I have never listened to either of these tapes. It's not these tape's fault, it's just that, whenever I go to listen to Have a Nice Life, why the fuck would I put on something other than Deathconsciousness?

Deathconsciousness is the greatest album of all time, fuck you I said it, and I'm sticking with it.

2 comments:

  1. But it's so much fun to say something is the best thing ever! I have no qualms anymore, although I probably used to care. I like to pick things that completely changed who I am or the way I view music or something. I would present envy's "all the footprints" cause it felt like the scales came off my eyes and it has everything i ever want in music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to wrack my brain over whatever I considered the best ever. But I agree with choosing a work that completely changes your view of music, which I can't think of another album that has as much as "Deathconsciousness."

    I wish Envy stuck with the direction of "All the Footprints" and "Insomniac Doze," I'm not that big a fan of their more recent stuff, but "All the Footprints" is definitely a fucking rager from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete