Thursday, May 24, 2012

Damezumari


For those who don't like to read: Damezumari play 90s-style emotive hardcore. Really well.

Oh god, this band isn't from Japan, but there name is spelled in Japanese (except for the 3 way split cd, which is actually a goof), so uh, this still counts right? I don't think it really matters, there is a bunch of fantastic music from around the world, so I'll just go ahead and feel free to visit familiar soil.

I got a chance to see Damezumari live once (it would've been twice, but that show got moved to Baltimore, and seriously, that city needs to be nuked away) and it was absolutely something else. After the show Eric told me that he felt like they weren't really into it, but I told him, and will still tell him, that he's wrong, because it was still one of the best live shows I've ever seen. I remember that they had me film the set for them, and I sort of expect the reason they never uploaded it was that I was sort of yelling along the entire time. Oops (yolo).

Damezumari has been around since 2003, from Tulsa, OK. They're technically just Eric Titterud on guitar/vocals, and then the worlds biggest revolving door of bassists and drummers. They generally have a bassist ready to tour with him when he wants, but they haven't been able to find a reliable drummer for just about ever, which is really one of the more bummer things in the world. I really can't seem to think of a band that deserves a full cast more than Damezumari, they definitely are one of the better bands to put music out in the past 5 or so years.

Damezumari - "Groundhog Day"

One of the things that has always drawn me to Damezumari is the fact that every song they write is fucking incredible musically. I'm pretty sure it's just Eric who hammers out all of these songs, but every releases of theirs includes some of the most technical, amazing drumming followed by really well thought out song structures and riffs that are all put together so seamlessly. It really makes every single Damezumari song a fucking journey through the music itself. It is a weird thing to try and describe, and more of something that you have to listen and experience by yourself. Musically, Damezumari play stuff in the vein of 90s emotive-hardcore stylistically, uhhh, maybe like a post-hardcore type deal to explain it easier? I'm really bad at this, but Damezumari are one of my favorite bands ever and their music fits a style that I always want to hear (and maybe one day play? Haha, that joke always kills me).

Damezumari - "The Meaning You're Believing"

I'm not going to blither and blather (which is something I end up saying every blog post) so I'll just go ahead and end it here (also something I end up saying every blog post). You can download everything for free at their website, located below. I would recommend going for the Hitherandtithering Waters Of 10" first, or maybe the songs off the Fire Team Charlie Split LP, but it's all good stuff so tart where you want to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment